We are delighted to announce our partnership with Kingsley Hamilton Estates, who specialises in sales, new homes, lettings and property management.  K&B Accountancy Group’s clients are invited to register for VIP access to their latest property portfolio as well as exclusive pre-public release opportunities.

As tax on property income is one of the most popular topics amongst our clients after their usual day to day contracting business, we will be releasing a series of introductions on tax for landlords including the obligations and taxes that might affect you as a landlord as well as some insight from Kingsley Hamilton Estates on the market.

Tax on rental income

Tax for landlords who rent out a property in the UK will need to pay tax on their rental income.

Rental income can include money that is received on things including (but not limited to) letting furnished or unfurnished land, grant of certain leases and enterprise investment schemes.

Tax for landlords is charged on net rental income, which is the gross rent received minus any allowable expenses.

Allowable expenses include those that are incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the rental business and that are not of a capital nature. Some examples of allowable expenses are:

  • Management fee from agency
  • Service charge
  • Rate and utilities (during the period that the property is vacant but available to be let)
  • Building and landlord insurance
  • Legal and accountancy fees
  • Mortgage interest (subject to restriction from 6 April 17)
  • Repairs and maintenance

It is worth noting that from April 2016, the 10% wear and tear allowance has been abolished for furnished lettings. Only actual replacements which have been incurred can be claimed.

Expenses of capital nature are those that provide an improvement to the property such as alterations or fixtures and fittings. These type of expenditure will not be tax deductible for income tax purposes but will be able to increase the base cost of your property for capital gain purposes upon sales.

How to declare tax on rental income

Landlords who receive rental income will need to declare it on their self-assessment tax return for each tax year which runs from 6th April to 5th April.  The filing deadlines are by 31st October and 31st January after the end of the tax year for paper returns and online submissions respectively.

We lodge our clients’ tax returns electronically for efficiency and as part of our digital accountancy service


Tax will be payable by 31 January each year. Payments on accounts may be required and these are due by 31 January and 31 July if the overall tax liability is above £1000.

It is important to note that rental income forms part of your personal tax calculations which could have an impact on the tax liability of your other income source such as dividends. Please always disclose your rental income (and all other streams of income) to your accountant when working on tax and income projection.

Non-Resident Landlords

If you live abroad for 6 months or more per year, you’re classed as a ‘non-resident landlord’ by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – even if you’re a UK resident for tax purposes.

On your rental income, the tax for landlords who are considered ‘non-resident’ can be paid either by:

  • Deducted at source by your letting agency or tenant under the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme or;
  • Pay tax through Self-Assessment – if approved by HMRC to receive gross income

The Non-Resident Landlord Scheme

The Non-Resident Landlord Scheme requires your letting agent or tenant to deduct tax at the basic rate of income tax from net rental income.

The scheme applies to all non-resident landlords including individuals and companies. It includes those who reside in Southern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey and Gibraltar.

Your lettings agent will need to deduct tax until they receive the approval letter from HMRC. Deducted tax will be sent to HMRC on a quarterly basis.

How to acquire approval to receive rental income gross as a landlord

You can apply for approval to receive rental income in gross if:

  • Your UK tax affairs are up to date
  • You have never had any UK tax obligations
  • You do not expect to be liable to UK tax
  • You are a Sovereign Immune who is not liable to pay UK tax

Once HMRC has approved the application, you will then receive a confirmation letter.  Your lettings agent will also receive a letter which has the approval number in order to pay rent gross of tax. Income tax from your rental income will be assessed via self-assessment as mentioned above.

These applications can take up to 6-8 weeks.

For further information on the properties that Kingsley Hamilton Estates has within their portfolio, please click here. Keep up to date on the latest tips and industry news for landlords on the Kingsley Hamilton Estates blog.